Thursday, June 12, 2008

Doll Cape

The following project is from Vogue Patterns, Pattern V7923.  It is now out-of print, as is the pattern for the doll, V7868. I have made the pattern for the cape as seen below on my American Girl doll. 

It was my first attempt at using satin, and it made me realize what a horrible material satin is to work with. It's one letter away from "satan" for a reason. 

I know it's hard to see the detail on this, but that's okay. You don't need to see it, just like you don't need to see the spot on the front where I accidently cut a hole. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that. It's right there, plain as day, too, which is why this picture is fine. You don't need to see it. 



The other issue I had was with the gathered trim on it. I had to gather somewhere around a mile of satin, from it into a Mobius strip  and then attach it to the outside of the cape. The end result was a disordered mess of gathering, with very little of the trim having the requisite "gather".  

Sigh. I would rather pleat nine and three-quarters feet of ribbon. 


Here's the back, hood up. I like the back. 

No comments: