Sunday, June 08, 2008

WTH: I Love the New Millennium Already?

I was excited when VH1 began their "I Love..." series with the 1980s. I was a little tot in the 80s, so I was feeling nostalgic, and why not? I was even on board with "I Love the 80s Strikes Back" and even "I Love the 80s 3-D" even though I didn't have the 3-D glasses. Then I realized that only backgrounds were 3-D, so it didn't really matter. 

Even though I spent only six months in the 1970s, I was in for "I Love the 70s" and "I Love the 70s Volume II." But I felt that the "I Love the 90s" series were too soon. We barely had five years perspective when those series began, and a lot of it was painful. I hadn't fully purged the 1990s out of my life and worse than that, it brought back horrible memories of middle school. Who wants to remember those grades? And here I was, for the years of 1991-1993, reliving them in all their glory. And there was stuff I didn't even remember and swore they made up. 

So I have reservations about "I Love the New Millennium", mostly because we're still living in them. There's no perspective there, and there's only seven years they can work with. What, they couldn't wait another five years? Or go back to the 1960s? Maybe they couldn't find enough D-List panelists to use. 

No comments: