This weekend I made Kirsten's School Dress, from the Pleasant Company patterns for dolls that have since been retired. The material I used was from Mama Wiebenga, who sent me a lot of stuff over the summer. In order to use every scrap possible, the pattern is vertical on the top but horizontal on the skirt. I have no problem with it and think it adds to the charm of a pioneer dress.
I also used the wrong side of the material because it looked more homespun and less perfect. I also liked the way it looked better than the right side, which was too "neat".
The back and wrists are closed by Velcro, another contribution by Mama Wiebenga!